Modification to Decree

After a Decree of Dissolution (Divorce) or Paternity is entered, issues regarding past due support, assets, and debts cannot be modified. However, if a party can prove a “material and substantial change in circumstances” a modification may be awarded as to alimony, custody, child support, or parenting time. Generally, support awards such as child support is the easiest to modify and custody is the most difficult issue to modify after the initial order. For custody and parenting time, the Court must also find that the proposed modification is in the best interests of the child/ren affected.