Termination of Parental Rights

In Nebraska, the law generally favors requiring both parents to provide emotional and financial support for their child or children. There are no mechanisms to allow a parent to relinquish (“give up” or “sign away”) his or her rights unless a juvenile abuse & neglect or adoption is planned. In very limited and extreme circumstances, a District Court may terminate one parents’ rights at the request of the other parent, but this is very rare and only under certain circumstances.